Thursday, May 24, 2012

Well I finally finished those three things I had started.  The bigger one is an adult width, shoulder arapaki.  It has waves of feathers with mawhitiwhiti on top and bottom and a wave pattern taniko.  The top wave of feathers are bluey green peacock.  The other two are small pieces I hope to make dolls for displaying.  So to this end I have had a great weekend up in Timaru with Mum and a dollmaking class at Geraldine (about 40mins northwest of Timaru) with Jill Maas.  I have learnt a lot of techniques which now I need to adapt to making maori dolls.  Although I have made a couple before they weren't very good so now I know some tricks I'll be making some more hopefully much better.  So here are the pictures of the doll we made over the weekend and some heads I made to practise the eyes etc.  Very different from the stocking dolls I have made in the past.
And to keep me out of mischief I have started another child one which if it's good enough will go to my old primary school in Papakura.
This one has mawhitiwhiti in diamond pattern and will have feathers and mawhitiwhiti in Poutama pattern.  I hope to have kereru feathers at the top and I haven't decided what taniko yet.  These things are all relevant to the school or at least Papakura.  Must stop this and get weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment