Friday, October 18, 2013

Plaits on the sides

Plaits on the sides are great for an edging. They help stabilise the edges and provide a check to keep rows straight. If you go down two bumps on one side then the other side should end up two bumps down too. My tutors have been saying this for years but it has only just clicked.
Put the aho strings through the plait and pull up tightly so they are hidden under the plait bumps. 

Design tip

Just discovered something I should of thought of years ago. When designing the body of a korowai where it is not all feathers pins are a great help. Planning on paper with all the maths involved in getting a balanced design is fine but when I actually do it I usually find I have forgotten to take something into account. Today I finally thought of putting pins in an empty of feathers row to help place the design. The pins show where the feathers will go.  Great because I had to move them several times to get both sides even and it was so easy.

Also tying up the extra length of whenu strings in bundles of twenty helped with counting. 

Thursday, October 17, 2013

This arapaki is made from the feathers from two pukeko pelts, and some white hen feathers.  It was made using the new string used double. I have brought the ends of the string from the back through to the front to make a fringe.  I will take it into Koru Art and Jade in Dunedin in November.
I am not sure how it is best yet to use the string but I am trying it double as it is quicker to use and I still like the finish.  I have started a big one using it double and with pheasant feathers.  Having to be a bit slow with it as I am busy elsewhere at the moment.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Last week I finished these two kindi samples trying out the new string from ICB.  The top korowai is done using the string singly and the second one uses the string doubled.  The pictures are not really out of focus .  The feathers were quite fluffy.  They all came from the one rooster pelt.  I think I like using the string double as it was so much less work than single and seemed to be a bit more sturdy.  However we shall see what the folk at Whiri Aroha, up in Papakura, think.  I believe they are using it singly.  My tension was about 24 strings per 10 cm doubled and 34/ 10cm single.  Both gave a good clean back so that doesn't help me decide.  I will need to adjust my taniko patterns though as doubled makes a wider stitch than single.  Easy on the computer.
The two colour background pattern was an idea a friend in Australia showed me on our trip earlier this year.  Her's was absolutely gorgeous in black, red and silver.  I didn't like to copy hers at all but really wanted to try out the idea.  These are destined for kindis where I had already made one similar for another kindi in the group.  

I am just about finished a shoulder cape made with pukeko and white chook feathers.  Just pulling through the cord ends to make a fringe.  Next I may start a big cloak using pheasant feathers or maybe a big white one using some lovely rooster pelts from Lyann.  Pictures next time.