Sunday, September 23, 2012


Just another quick arapaki to use up some cut string before the big day.  Used some rooster feathers that I already had bundled ages ago.



My mother showed me how to make labels for the back of my pieces.  I worked out the wording etc on Picasa and printed it out till I was happy with it.  Then I ironed freezer paper to some plain fabric.  Freezer paper can be got from material shops especially those dealing with quilters.  This was cut to A4 size then just put through the printer as normal.  The freezer paper stiffens the material and can be pealed off after printing. It worked well and I got 12 labels per A4 sheet.  Then comes the tedious bit of sewing them on to the back of the korowai like a shop label.



 The exhibition notice.  We had an article written about us in the local free papers too, which has brought in a few people.  Probably better than an ad.


 Here is Elaine in front of her 5 pieces.  She has really caught the bug and has made 7 things since I taught her in 2010.  These 5 pieces have been made this year.

Here we are beside another of my lady's work.  She has so many things on the go, including embroidery, that she doesn't get quite as much weaving done as she would like.  However she has progressed and has aspirations of making a full sized korowai for her daughter's graduation in a few years time.

Although the exhibition is in a lovely gallery off a shop with beautiful NZ made gifts, I am going in each day to weave there so people can see the work involved.  It also gives me time to weave without the distractions of home ( like whitebaiting for instance).  We have had interest from a number of folk and I hope to get a group together for next year.  

My other news is that we will be visiting Papakura in the first week of November so I hope to visit Whiri Aroha on Monday of that week, and also to present a gift korowai to Papakura South School.

No comments:

Post a Comment