Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Weekend weaving wananga at Napier

I have had a wonderful long weekend away at Napier taking a weekend school on korowai weaving. Thanks to all those who helped organise this and thanks to those who participated and made it a joy to teach.
The evening and two days were held at a fantastic cooperative at the Waiohiki craft village.

There were 20 people enthusiastic to learn who by the end of the weekend had learnt all the basic skills to make a korowai and some were even experimenting and creating lovely ideas. 




The shop, itself, was one of the best NZ craft shops I have seen.  Beautiful work, so interesting and innovative. Things I had never seen before. It is well worth a visit, so don't just drive past but stop in some day if you are in the area.  I can't praise it enough. 

We are hoping to have another day in May to look at design options, other techniques and bags.  The class is full already but one of the ladies is looking at doing another course for beginners sometime,  so that's great.   My whole mission is to pass the skills on so others can pass it on too,  just as I have been taught by my kaitiaki in Papakura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment