Saturday, June 13, 2015

Coeliac Disease

Unfortunately I have coeliac disease which means I have to have a strictly gluten free diet for life. This means nothing made with wheat, oats, rye or barley. It is surprising what innocent things contain these things, things you would never expect like salad dressings and soy sauce.  As I am very sensitive I have to be extremely careful or I can very quickly have a really bad bout of vomiting and extreme weakness.
 I bring this up in this blog because I have just had another episode brought on by a salad I was told was gluten free,  by people who should know, which unfortunately wasn't.  It was just as well I got home within two hours of eating it as I was very sick soon afterwards.
So for those of you who don't know about coeliac disease or those who think it is just a fad and not to worry, it is definitely something to be aware of. For some people out there it may just be a fad diet but for coeliacs it is a question of life or suffering.
So if I come to your area to teach weaving please do not be offended if I say I can't eat the food you have lovingly prepared. I am quite happy eating what I have brought and others eating your wonderful food.  I love the smells of good food even if I can't always eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment