Saturday, May 20, 2017

Mid May and two on the go.

The kakahu for Russell's mother is well under way. The taaniko is finished and the feathers are about halfway there. I am using the Brown Shaver chicken feathers and flicking them up to make a thick feel to the cloak. This does mean every row is a feather row so a lot of feather bundles are needed.


At the same time I have started a korowai hihima for the nursing school in Rotorua. A hihima is a cloak with tags the same colour as the whenu. This cloak had a very specific pattern required by my client to reflect the teaching programme. It has been very interesting to do. I am about a third of the way through.



I have another to start soon too, so it is busy every minute. This one has Pukeko feathers. I have seen a lot of Pukeko used and they always seem to look a bit odd,  not quite sitting beautifully. If anyone has advice as to the washing, bundling and use I would be very grateful. There are a lot of feathers needed. I have 15 pelts coming from feathergirl,  so I hope they are good ones.

These cloaks need to be finished by at least mid September so what am I sitting here writing this for? Back to work. Crack the whip and back to weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment