Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Fresh start

Sorry I haven't posted for a few months. I've been busy with a death in the family. But now I've started weaving again. Yesterday a few of my weaving pals and I delivered quite a few angel korowai to the hospital. It was interesting hearing how they are used and the other options available to families dealing with little people's deaths. There are other groups like embroiderers making wee garments etc. I hope we all help at a very sad time in people's lives.

But now I have started a new cloak to practice an idea for a friend's new cloak. She wants panels within the  cloak with taaniko patterns. Quite tricky. I'm having to train my brain to weave in both directions. It was done by Rangimarie Hetet and I'm trying to replicate her technique.


It would be easier if I did a whole block of taaniko but I'm trying to work on the angle. And each row is double so forward and back are the same colours.  If anyone has done this and has some suggestions I'm all ears. It looks straightforward till you actually try it. Quite a slow process too, so I think it will take a while to achieve length. 



The other news is that while up north I found two ladies importing string to NZ. One is cotton and I haven't seen it yet to determine quality. The other is jute and I like the look of it. It is already washed and though not as light a colour as I would like it's not as dark as unwashed $2 shop string. It is also a little thicker than the fine string so could be used single. I will have a go soon so I can report on its quality but it looks good.  It's great to see people getting on and doing what I was thinking about but didn't get around to.  

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas 





No comments:

Post a Comment