Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The taaniko is finished

Hooray,  at last I can move on.  60 rows at an hour and a half per row over 800 whenu. It's just over 10cm wide.

Now for the next step. I have applied for some birds from DoC and hope to pick them up next week. But what design? I think I won't do all over feathers but will incorporate some tags. This afternoon I have been counting strings and tying them in knots according to my ideas. It does help to have this sorted out before you start especially making sure the sides are mirror images. My maths gets me in trouble if I don't be very careful about that. 

I have realized that on my first book "Making your first small korowai" I have made two confusing passages. The first is where I show how to do the stitch and say to cut two aho strings of different colours. The problem is we only supply one colour in the starter kit as I expect people will want to use the one colour throughout their piece. I hope people realize this and don't use the taaniko thread instead. 
The second is where I specifically say to put the feathers in with three whenu between bundles. However with the whenu we have at the moment in our starter kits being a bit thicker and some of the feathers being skinny it would have been better to say to put the feathers in as needed to make a piece with no white whenu showing whether that needs one, two or the whenu between bundles.
I hope to fix this soon but meantime I do hope people can work through these problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment