Thursday, February 10, 2011

Latest work

I have managed to do the last feather rows on my wrap and started the last mawhitiwhiti row before turning.
I am pleased with the way it has come together and tried various tops including a plait across the top but I have decided a normal turning will be best.


However I have had to put it on hold so I can make a bag for Whiri Aroha for a raffle.  I have just started weaving the bottom.

But the excitement that is really making me think is seeing a korowai in Auckland city yesterday at a shop called Kura and by an artist called Gary.  I didn't get his last name but hope to sort that out.  It was wonderful.  It was made of a light coloured jute but looked like muka.  It had small blocks of weka feathers and very close rows much closer than we are used to doing.  But the ends of the rows were just so neat.  It was as if the aho just disappeared.  He only backtracked on the rows about 4 or 5 whenu and I couldn't see the knot or cut aho or anything.  It was so beautiful I felt my work was bad next to his.  But it has certainly motivated me to improve my technique.  And I might try the jute if I can find it.


Here are another few things I made for the group.
This is a neckpiece

jute string (actually looks browner) and pheasant feathers

My first piece of muka that I made myself

No comments:

Post a Comment