Tuesday, February 1, 2011

You can learn to weave.

The skill of weaving from modern materials was passed on to me with love and without tapu.  It was expected that I should, in turn, pass the skill on to others.  As a pakeha I can teach the skills required to weave a korowai but for the heart and spirit of weaving you need to seek out your own people and traditions.  I feel it's a great privilege to have this knowledge and consider it a great blessing to be able to pass on something that has brought a great deal of pleasure to me.  Contact me if you are interested in learning to weave.
My first korowai sample 2007

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Robin,
    I am very interested in creating a korowai. I have many reasons, but I guess my first would be that my recently deceased grandmother encouraged me to create one for my whanau, and I never did. Now, in March of next year I will be graduating with my degree and I wish to wear a korowai as requested by my nan. I wish the korowai to be something special, to make me feel that she will be there with me when I finally graduate.
    However, as much as my mind wants it to happen, I do not know where to start and I currently have not found any inspiration. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete