Thursday, February 23, 2012

Well at last I am settling in to our home here in Taieri Mouth.  This is the view from our front deck early morning.
We have got stuck into the vege garden and now I can pick herbs and lettuce and spinach leaves already.  The rest of the garden needs to be started on yet but I am picking blackberries from the back of the section for our breakfast.  We have lots of flat fish of various kinds to eat, thanks to the local fishermen and have had  meals of  mussels and paddle crabs.  A short break away up at Wanaka meant we bought lots of apricots to put in the freezer and to jam.  So now the larder is fuller and things are getting in hand I can turn my thoughts to weaving again.
I have started with a mawhitiwhiti sampler for a weaving group in Pukekohe.  Each three rows brings a change in pattern.  It's amazing the variety you can get from crossing 4 or 5 whenu in different ways.  I would like to have a name for each pattern.  Some I know like 'Whale's tail' ( maori name?) but do the others have names?  Does anyone know?




These are quite easy to make so if anybody wants one so that you can have a sampler to work from I can make one for you.  They will cost $50 plus $4 postage.  There are about 10 different patterns on the sampler.
I have also been making the nannies and koro again so they are available for $15 each.  See march 2011 blog.
Use either e-mail address.
If anyone in Dunedin wants to learn to weave I am willing to have a class.  Also if a group anywhere in Otago would like a wananga we can work something out.  As long as my expenses are covered I am happy to pass on the skills that have been passed on to me.  Further afield I'll have to consider carefully at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment