Sunday, May 3, 2015

learning new things

I am on a road trip around the country visiting friends and family and very excited about the new things I am learning.  Last week we talked to a very good weaver in Te Awamutu who showed me a wonderful old ending to aho rows, new ways of dealing with jute string to make beautiful whenu and some beautiful korowai to make me eager to get home and get to work.


Last weekend I was in Napier taking a group of about 10 for a techniques day. We covered options for casting on,  sides, row endings including the new one I learnt that week, and we worked out the old way of putting in tags.  I showed them how to make bags and everyone went home happy.  I was also shown a gadget to do the cut on a harekeke and a piece of greenstone to get out the muka.  Chris made me one on the spot. What a lovely man. He also gave me some more of his muka made by a machine.  I can't wait to get home and work with it. 

On Tuesday I will be able to examine some old cloaks in a museum in Masterton, which I am very much looking forward to.  I have a better idea of what to look for now, than ever before. 

On Wednesday we cross back to the South Island and the next day arrive back in Timaru to take a beginner class in Temuka. Then at last I will be able to go back home and try to work out something to make to try out the new things I have learnt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment