Thursday, March 3, 2016

Vicky's masterpiece

What a wonderful surprise this week when one of my Temuka ladies showed me the second piece she has ever made. Her first was learning to weave with me and this is her second.

It is absolutely fabulous. She had made it with the thin Browns Brushware string and used it singly. Something I have never done. So much patience. 560 whenu. What a lot of work. Her rows are lovely and even and the taaniko was wonderful.



Such fine work and so neatly done.  It was very light and hung and moved well.

Interestingly she has used single feathers in the kaupapa or body of the piece.  This helps because I think three feather bundles might have been inclined to poke through. As it is, only small fluffy feathers that can be seen on the back. The feathers are pheasant.
Vicky used a very fine crochet cotton for the aho or weft and for the taaniko she used some silky thread  called Threadline Products knitting silk,  4 ply taaniko weaving thread 110 metre hanks which cost about $16. I must see where we can get that.

I am so proud of her efforts. The pupil has outstripped the master. Well done Vicky. I look forward to seeing your next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment